Aarhus University Seal


  • Information about copyright when you are doing research

As a university researcher you and any co-authors as a rule own the copyright to any articles, books, photographs, films etc. which you produce in connection with your research. When publishing in journals or books part of the copyright is transferred to the respective journal or publisher. How much depends on the specific agreements which have been entered into.

Read more about different aspects of this below.

Need help?

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the liason librarian associated with your field, who will be happy to assist you with your questions.

Alternatively, you are always welcome to contact your local library.  

Using other people's material in a publication

If you use other people’s material in your research, you should be aware of both copyright and good research practice.

Entering into a publishing agreement

When you publish your research it is important to consider what kind of agreement you want to make with the publisher. Read about the various agreements.

Reusing or republishing your own work

Research is usually published through a publishing house. Be aware of what kind of agreements you enter into. It may affect what you can do with your publications later.

Publishing Open Access

An opportunity to make publications available freely on the Internet.

Use of Creative Commons licenses

As a researcher, via Creative Commons licenses, you can specify how your results may be used by others.

Forskerportalen.dk (the Researcher Portal)

When it comes to teaching material or collected material and research data, it is not always completely clear who "owns" the material – the researcher or the university? You can read more about this at Forskerportalen.dk (the Researcher Portal).

Processing of personal data

If you use personal data in your research you must be aware of certain special requirements. You can read about the processing of personal data on the Aarhus University website, on Forskerportalen.dk (the Researcher Portal) and on the website of the Danish Data Protection Agency.